Friday, March 30, 2012

Five Things Friday: Gratitude Changes Everything


A few weeks ago, Lara Casey wrote a post about Gratitude.  A few days later, I wrote a post about being thankful my grandfather.  In the past few weeks I have truly learned how gratitude can change everything.

My best friend just called me out for not writing in a few days.  Thanks Sarah.  I haven't posted in eight straight days.  Before that, I was sputtering in with posts at random intervals. The thing is, my world's being rocked and I had to take a moment to catch my breath.  My family is in the thick of an all-out-battle with my grandfather's health.  I have found a new arch nemesis in his daily Creatinine levels.  Needless to say, it's no bueno.  But through all of this I have found what I am truly grateful for... which brings us to today's Five Things Friday.  Here are the five things I am blessed to have in my life.

1. Family
My family has been through some serious trials. We've cried, we've questioned, we've worrried, we've wondered, and we've been absolutely stumped over the past four weeks. But, as always, we've done it together.  We are a team, and we are the way we are because it has never been acceptable to be any different.  Loyalty is ingrained in us. That said, my mother is absolutely phenomenal.  Because she's local, the lion's share of the responsibility of caring for my grandparents over the past few years has fallen to her, and in the past few weeks she's spent an insurmountable number of hours at my Papa's bedside.  I don't know what my family would do without her.  Mom - you rock my socks off. I love you.

2. Friends
My sweet friends are the best in the world.  I would fight to the death in a comparison of friends, mine WILL win.  I like to think of them as my own little army of prayer warriors.  I have never known a group of people to be more supportive and encouraging in a way that consistently brings glory to God.  (As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. Proverbs 27:17) This group of women makes me a better woman of God, and at the same time they are the group of people who can make me laugh till I snort soda up my nose, pee my pants or start crying... or do all three.  I don't know who I would be had I not been surrounded by these girls in college  -- they truly make me a better version of myself.  

3. Jobs
Say what you will about having to go to work every day -- some days are better than others, and it's not always a dream to go to work instead of spend our time as we wish, but in the recent weeks I have found a new kind of gratitude for my work.  The group of people I work with both in my full-time job and teaching at the studio are a phenomenal group of some of the most talented professionals I have ever met -- not only that, but they are supportive and kind and understanding.  I spend more time with them than I do anyone else, and I am blessed to be surrounded by such wonderful people.  If work is but a distraction for the mess of unknowns and inexplicables going on in my life right now, it's certainly more than welcome.   

4.  Creativity
Getting lost in my creativity is one of my best coping skills. It is my happy place.  My eye, my brain, my appreciation for all things beautiful will always be an escape from whatever is going on in life.  Whether it is through dance or design, my creativity is what drives me, it's what fuels me and restores me, it's what gives me a chance to find clarity and composure.

5. Laughter
This past week was especially challenging.  My grandfather started emergency dialysis and my great aunt passed away unexpectedly all in the span of 36 hours.  In a time where it would have been easy to throw our hands up and give in to overwhelming grief, my family laughed as my grandfather's somewhat drug-influenced reaction to my Aunt Sally's death caught us all off guard: "Well she was old," he said.  His sense of humor is unwavering.  Completely inappropriate, but unwavering no less.  I read something on Pinterest that said, "The greatest sound is the laughter of the ones you love."  I couldn't agree more.

What are you grateful for? Make a list, post it somewhere and remain humbled by your blessings. 

Life a life of gratitude. It changes everything.

2 comments:

  1. Love you to the moon and back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom IS pretty awesome. I too, have been trying to find the meaning in the little things- It's what helps hold us accountable and find the silver lining in everything. I have been praying, and will continue to pray for your Grandpa!

    ReplyDelete