Friday, March 16, 2012

Five Things Friday: Fashion I die for

Have you ever heard the expression "Things come in Threes"?  Maybe it's an I-was-raised-Catholic thing.  Either way, I've heard it my whole life.  When babies are born, when people die, when good things are happening, when bad things are happening, when run-of-the-mill-not-at-all-related things are happening... "Things come in threes."

Well I think things should come in fives.  

Three is too manageable. It doesn't push the envelope.  I like fives.  The halfway point leaves you with quite a bit accomplished, but still a good bit ahead of you.  Think of your five favorite people -- now cut it to three.  It sucks right?

What about your five favorite songs?  When cut down to three, it's lacking something.  Maybe a whole genre, or a whole artist, or a whole time period is missing.  It just won't do.

Now think of five goals you have for your life.  It's lofty, right?  But they're your goals! Why shouldn't they be lofty.  And, hey, with the trend of this post, I'll give you five years to accomplish them.

Alrighty then, enough mucking around.  I'm starting a new tradition.  It's called Five-things Friday.  In each post I'll tell you about FIVE things... predictable, I know.  Maybe five trends I'm loving.  Five songs I can't get out of my head.  Five new pieces of clothing I'd like to add to my closet.   The possibilities are ENDLESS... except when it comes to reaching #6.

And without further ado... the five fashion trends I'm totally LOVING right now.

1. Colorful Denim. 

I mean, if anyone's shocked by this one, they haven't read my previous blogs, or looked at my pinterest, or read anyone else's blog or looked at their pinterest... Everyone loves the colored denim that has become all the rage this season.  It's really not even that novel of an idea anymore -- but I'm okay with it.  The world is better if for no other reason that people's pants are making the world prettier with all their colors! Their available at every price point and in every fit, so there's a way for everyone to rock this fashionable favorite.

Image from The NY Times / J Brand Denim


2. Hippie-Chic

Chic is the operative word here.  Please bathe. Please wear deodorant. Please look fabulous in your favorite florals, denim, fringe, jumpers, feathers in your hair, sunglasses, big jewelry and anything else you can find indie inspired, because I freaking love it all!  My personal version of hippie-chic has an added side of Navajo. I like a good native-american-vibe when I can find it.  Of course the two styles are different and individual, but when combined, I think they have quite the impact. 

Image via Pinterest
Image via Pinterest
Gahhh, I love this look so much.  via Pinterest

3. Pink & Orange: New Best Friends

Who knew these colors went together until someone GENIUS put them together!??! I mean, hello world of fabulousness.  I die for you pink and orange.  I absolutely die. Mostly because you're a color palette my hair color just won't allow, but anywho I do love to stare at you.  Brunettes, blondes, please, I beg of you, embrace this trend.  Do it for those of us who look like pale, ghastly creatures in the shades of tangerine and Texas.  (Warning, the three looks below are very similar.  I tend to over-endorse spectacular execution of good-old-fashioned STYLE... please excuse.  Also, please buy a handbag in a bold color and wear it with your orange and pink ensemble.)

Image via Pinterest
Image via Pinterest
Image via Pinterest

4.  Bold statements, with equally bold tan lines.

As someone who worries more about sunburning that sunbathing, I often find myself perplexed when I hear the comment, "Ugh it would leave such awful tan lines."  Tan lines, you say? What are those?  I love a good ruffle, some fringe, perhaps an oddly placed strap (or a hundred?), I've even been known to covet a giant bow.  See also, the one-strap, the endless ruffles, and the straps here-straps there styles I'm also coveting.  Naysayers be damned, I've got on SPF 70.

Image via Pinterest

Image via Pinterest
Image via Pinterest

I love a good one-piece. via Pinterest.
Image via Pinterest
5. Tutu-precious

I am a dancer. Every dancer loves a good tutu.  Ok, some hated them.  But I'm sensing a ballet-inspired trend coming on and I must say, I LIKE IT.  Soft subtle elegance ranges to daringly bold playfulness. I like it all.  And hey, you have to be bold to rock a tutu.  

Image via Jack Rogers

Image via Pinterest

Image via Pinterest
Image via Pinterest
So tell me, what five fashion trends are you loving right now?  What look are you dying to try? What do you think looks great on others but maybe isn't for you? (We've all got them, mine is orange and pink!) 

HAVE A FABULOUS FRIDAY, y'all.  Tomorrow I'll be breaking my cardinal rule of blogging and posting on Saturday. It's St. Patrick's Day. I must. It's required.

xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment