Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Wedding Wednesday: A Breath of Fresh Air

I started a whole new pin board today to begin the process of planning my best friend's wedding.  Now, she's not yet engaged, but I've already been informed that I'm "planning the whole thing."  Challenge accepted.  She wants an outdoor (read: on a farm), fall wedding with rustic and "Farm-tastic" details. 

Enter: Baby's Breath.

I've always loved Baby's Breath.  Something about those tiny little white flowers is just so ethereal.  If I could get close to the clouds, I feel like they might just be made of baby's breath and we just can't tell all the way down here on the ground.  (Ok, so I've been on a plane, and I know the clouds are really just condensation, but come on, go with me on this one.)

Baby's breath (Scientific name: gypsophila) is among the least expensive flowers you can buy, which is great news for brides, as it's becoming one of the most popular trends in weddings. 

With an outdoor wedding, there's nothing but space to contend with.  And while large floral arrangements are gorgeous, they're also expensive and can pretty much blow a hole the size of Texas in your budget.  Using Baby's Breath introduces a light, airy feeling while still dressing up an area that, on most days, is just a green pasture.

I love these bouquets of Baby's Breath secured to the ends of the aisles.

Image via Pinterest/Southern Weddings
 
These wreaths of Baby's Breath are absolutely to die for.  Great for doors leading to the indoor "facilities" to help guests know they're allowed to go inside.

Image via Pinterest/La Fleur Weddings

I've already mentioned my love of long banquet tables at the reception, but nothing is more annoying than centerpieces that keep you from having conversations with the people across from you. These tall vases of Baby's Breath are not only beautiful, but they don't block your vision! 
(And I absolutely adore the abundance of votive candles.)

Image via Pinterest/Style Me Pretty

Then there's the bridesmaids' bouquets.  A definite opportunity for a big statement, but also an opportunity for a big distraction.  Think about it. Their bouquets are right at eye level of the loved ones gathered to witness the exchange of vows, not the exchange of flowers... Why not do something simple and gorgeous like Baby's Breath?

Image via Style Me Pretty
 
It's hard to tell, but I think this is an arch made of twigs with Baby's Breath woven in.  If I'm right, I don't even have to see the photo clearly to tell you it's to die for.  And, in a wedding that's outdoors, but still very religious, it's a challenge to create something of an altar for the ceremony.  This would be a fantastic option. 
(I also love the vintage wooden buckets of flowers to complement the ceremony location.)

Image via Style Me Pretty

These garlands just put the whole Baby's Breath thing right over the top for me. I mean, who wouldn't want garlands of flowers decorating their ceremony and reception site.  Especially on a farm.  There's plenty of uses for a garland, not only decor, but roping off areas that are restricted or less-than-desirable (read: risk of stepping in cow poo?) I wouldn't dare cross a garland line -- rope, on the other hand, I'd totally ignore.

Image via Style Me Pretty

What are some of your favorite uses of baby's breath? Seen anything cool lately? Anything I should file away for the (long-off) fall farm wedding?  Send the ideas my way.

On an unrelated note, thanks for bearing with me yesterday as I used the blog for a more personal post.  My grandfather is doing well, but truly, every day is a blessing.

Xoxo. 

1 comment: