Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Wedding Wednesday: Heavenly Hairstyles

I believe no outfit can look its best if your hair is a mess.  Furthermore, I believe your hair has the power to make or break your day.  Imagine the fuss a stray hair hanging in your face can cause, or worse, a fallen updo. Or devastating, fallen curls that look like dead snakes.  Yes, I said it, dead snakes.  Not the look you were going for in your bridal portraits? Didn't think so. 

Here are my steps to choosing the perfect hairstyle for your wedding day (or any other day for that matter):

1. Know your hair.

Don't try to force it to do something it just can't do. Furthermore, know your style, and don't do something with your hair that deviates so far from your everyday style that you just don't look like yourself.  For example: I'm all about the volume, so why on my wedding day would I slick my hair back flat against my head? Well, I wouldn't.

2. Frame your face, don't distract from it.

I have the same rule for my hair as I do for my -- ahem -- décolletage. If it is going to keep someone from looking me in the eye when they speak to me, it needs to be reigned in.  Get it?  I thought so. Moving on.

3. Work with your veil, not against it.

Not wearing a veil? Skip this.  If you don't want your veil to be up on top of your head, you're going to have to choose a lower updo, or choose to attach your veil below your hair.  If you want to wear your hair all down, how are you going to attach your veil (it can be done!) and will it stay?  If you want to wear a blusher down the aisle, and you have sideswept bangs, are you just going to end up with a mess of tulle and hair in your eyes?  These are the things you have to think about.  And, furthermore, the things you have to play around with at your hairstyle consultation.  (Which PS. is required, and should NOT be skipped.) Bring your veil.  Your hair and your veil can work together to achieve amazing things... they can also revolt against you.

4. Consider the weather.

Do you have a thick head of frizz prone hair? Are you going to be dealing with high humidity or wind? Does your hair only hold curl when you're inside air conditioning?  If it's hot will you die with your hair down?  If it's cold, will you freeze if your hair is up?  All of these things will help guide you in choosing the best possible hairstyle for your wedding.

5. Maybe you should have a quick change?

Devoted to the idea of angelic half-up-half-down curls for your ceremony, but worried you won't be able to dance the night away at your reception without looking like a raggamuffin?  Maybe you get a talented friend or family member, or hey, your hairstylist, to toss your hair into a quick updo between your ceremony and reception -- you could end up with the best of both worlds.

All of these things considered, here are some of my current favorite hairstyles for both weddings, special events and daily wear. (Again I say, I believe hair can make or break the ensemble, so why not have a beautiful coiffure every day?)


Braided updo, with volume (via Pinterest)
Loose curls (via Pinterest)
Chic, clean chignon (via Pinterest)
Half-up Curls (via Pinterest)
Woven and Knotted (via Pinterest)
High bun, with veil (via Pinterest)
Half-up with veil (via Pinterest)
How do you wear your hair for special occasions? Anybody else dealing with an impossibly thick head of hair that hates humidity? How do you plan on getting your hair, veil and/or other accesories to work harmoniously?

xoxo.

PS. You can view my hair board on Pinterest here. And my wedding board here.

No comments:

Post a Comment